Monday, November 8, 2010

Jell-o, I love you won't you tell me your name?

Over the weekend, I did a little shopping and found some neat stuff: a purple, puffy princess dress, a really awful knit sweater that I love, some HORRIFYING vintage Santa/Mrs. Claus heads, and most importantly.... some more JELL-O molds and vintage cook books!

I am a artist (a photographer primarily) and my favourite subject to explore is the bizarre relationship Americans have with food. Recently, I've been researching retro food (specifically the 1950s-1970s) because of the truly unappetizing qualities of it. All of the food is displayed with extreme care and is overly ornate in order to make the food seem as appealing as possible, but to modern eyes, unlike vintage fashion, the dated quality of the images is 100% disgusting! Therefore, I love it!


My most recent photographs depict a sort of behind-the-scenes gluttony that no one ever sees; in advertisments that depict people eating, no one is ever really eating... when people eat, it looks gross, but people deny this.

This piece, Pecan, 2010 is one image from my "Pies" series.

In my "Pie" pieces, I took a food that was yummy and yummy looking, and made it look really grotesque, but in my new works I want to take food that looks bizarre and maybe gross (not like dead animals and stuff, but just stuff you wouldn't want to eat) and put it in a commercial-looking situation.

That is where the Jell-o molds come in... I will keep you posted ;)

(Side note: I think Christmas should be banished to December and it should stop invading November, but I HAD to buy those Santa heads because they were too creepy to pass up! I will post a photo of them later!)

No comments:

Post a Comment